You ever heard of these? No? Me neither. At least not until I started getting them and THEY SUCK!
It's always something with me. Regular migraines, aches and pains from being sedentary, a cold or a virus, general persistent exhaustion. Sometime I feel like it's exhausting being me but I know there are people that have it much, much worse than I do. All my issues right now are fixable with diet and exercise which is why this new phenomenon is sucking royally.
The first time I got one of these I was doing pull ups. I held my breath (accidentally) and hadn't eaten for like 6 hours. I thought that was the source. The next time I got one I was doing pullups. I purposely didn't hold my breath and made sure to eat 90 minutes before. Today it was even worse.
It happened again today. We did 10 lateral jumps and by the time I got to number ten I felt like someone stuck a pen in my left eye. I finished the rest of the workout, but I think I figured out where my headache issue is coming from. See below.
It's always something with me. Regular migraines, aches and pains from being sedentary, a cold or a virus, general persistent exhaustion. Sometime I feel like it's exhausting being me but I know there are people that have it much, much worse than I do. All my issues right now are fixable with diet and exercise which is why this new phenomenon is sucking royally.
The first time I got one of these I was doing pull ups. I held my breath (accidentally) and hadn't eaten for like 6 hours. I thought that was the source. The next time I got one I was doing pullups. I purposely didn't hold my breath and made sure to eat 90 minutes before. Today it was even worse.
It happened again today. We did 10 lateral jumps and by the time I got to number ten I felt like someone stuck a pen in my left eye. I finished the rest of the workout, but I think I figured out where my headache issue is coming from. See below.
You see those upper back muscles? The traps? Well when I get stressed this is where it all goes. Notice how it goes across the shoulders and up the neck? That's headache territory.
Side story: One day I was getting my hair done when this crazy, whiny girl started going on and on about her hair color wasn't right. The other stylist re-colored her hair twice and finally had to give up (chick really was crazy). She was annoying the spit outta me but I wasn't saying anything. After crazy girl left (without paying, I think that was her plan all along) my stylist apologized and said she noticed every time the girl spoke my shoulders would flinch. That was funny because it was almost imperceptible. I didn't even know I was doing it.
At my last job when I was working on a project that was short on resources and shorter on time I would get backaches. Care to guess where? If you guessed the green traps you'd be right on. I would constantly try to roll the tension out and it would never work. I would also get the occasional headache or two...
So fast forward to the last few week. Work is stressful. Learning a new job with almost no resources or direction blows chunks. My chair isn't very comfortable and my back has been hurting. My traps are little knots beneath the skin. Every time I try to smooth one out the pain gets better on the side I'm working, and worse on the side I'm using to work out the pain. (left side hurts when smoothing right side).
I lifted my arm over my head in the shower and soaped the back of my neck and it all clicked. Until I get those knots worked out I'm going to stay in pain. Physical exertion that requires any real use of the traps leads to a huge headache that comes on really fast and lingers after I stop. So my next step is a massage, hopefully this weekend. And if it helps, I need to work it in more often. And good stretching. And less stress at work.
Sounds like a plan.
You just made it click for me. Thanks for posting the picture for reference. I too carry my stress in my back. I've been getting TPI's & massages on a regular basis and it's been helping a lot. I hope you've gotten your masssage.
ReplyDelete