Last week I was really missing my grandmother's lemon pound cake. I know she gave me the recipe, but I can't find it anywhere and while I could substitute something sweet I knew what I didn't want. I didn't want a regular cake, I didn't want cookies and I didn't want brownies.
I began my search scouring the internet for pound cake recipes. Really long ones were immediately dismissed as too unwieldy. Anything that required cake flour was out because I didn't have any. Milk was a bit suspect because we don't keep cow's milk in the house since Mr. A's long awaited conversion to almond milk. So what to do? I found the simplest, easiest to follow recipe ever.
Courtesy of Cooks.com:
I began my search scouring the internet for pound cake recipes. Really long ones were immediately dismissed as too unwieldy. Anything that required cake flour was out because I didn't have any. Milk was a bit suspect because we don't keep cow's milk in the house since Mr. A's long awaited conversion to almond milk. So what to do? I found the simplest, easiest to follow recipe ever.
Courtesy of Cooks.com:
- 2 c. flour
- 2 c. sugar
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 tsp. each: vanilla, almond and lemon flavoring
- 5 eggs
- Mix all ingredient and spoon into greased and floured bundt pan. Bake at 350°F for about 1 hour.
I knew I'd hit the simplicity jackpot and decided this was it. And then I proceeded to murder this cake. And no, I don't mean that in a good way. *sigh*
Mixing the ingredients was fine. I added the butter and sugar first until it formed that great tasting concoction I don't have very much. Then I added in the flour, then the eggs. Here's where it got tricky.
I didn't have lemon flavoring. The fresh lemons I did have couldn't be used (green mold) and I thought I had vanilla extract and didn't. I ended up using about 1/2 a cup of lemon juice which turned out to not be enough. When I opened the almond cap (still thinking it was vanilla) I accidentally poured about half an ounce of it into the mix instead of the tsp. Then I realized that was almond and I was out of vanilla.
Almond extract is strong y'all.
Anyway. I finished mixing and sprayed my pan with PAM and got it into the oven.
You see what I did there? I missed the flouring part. *doh* When the cake was done and ready to come it looked like this.
Mixing the ingredients was fine. I added the butter and sugar first until it formed that great tasting concoction I don't have very much. Then I added in the flour, then the eggs. Here's where it got tricky.
I didn't have lemon flavoring. The fresh lemons I did have couldn't be used (green mold) and I thought I had vanilla extract and didn't. I ended up using about 1/2 a cup of lemon juice which turned out to not be enough. When I opened the almond cap (still thinking it was vanilla) I accidentally poured about half an ounce of it into the mix instead of the tsp. Then I realized that was almond and I was out of vanilla.
Almond extract is strong y'all.
Anyway. I finished mixing and sprayed my pan with PAM and got it into the oven.
You see what I did there? I missed the flouring part. *doh* When the cake was done and ready to come it looked like this.
When I tried to remove it from the pan it immediately fell apart. Once it did, I completely forgot to take another picture because I was eating the pieces as fast as they were falling off. LOL
Even though the almond extract was strong it was still good. It gave the bottom of the cake a strong, excellent flavor, in a way I haven't had before.
I'll make this cake again, I promise. But with flour for the pan, real lemon juice and zest, less almond and more vanilla.
I'll make this cake again, I promise. But with flour for the pan, real lemon juice and zest, less almond and more vanilla.
No comments:
Post a Comment