Friday, May 10, 2013

Feast or Famine

Let me make one thing clear.  I have a love/hate relationship with food, but not because I have an eating disorder or anything like that.  I just realized I want to eat better. I love food. Love it.  L.O.V.E. IT. 

All kinds too. American, Italian, Asian, Indian, Mexican.  Love. It.

So you want to know what my issue is? The actual getting to eat it part.  I hate that part.

Like I said before this is not about any type of eating disorder.  I do eat.  The problem is I don't eat a lot and I don't eat enough, especially on my active days.  I just can't do it.  I mean physically, I cannot eat another bite more than I already do.

To supplement I add protein to my smoothies (more on my smoothie issues in the next post) but I don't think this is enough. I  really need to get on with the business of tracking portions and calories for a bit to get a truer picture of what I really consume in a day, but after scouring the internet about food and fitness I know I'm not eating anywhere near the recommended calories.

What's that?  Why you say?

Because a typical day looks like this:

16-20oz hot water with lemon
32oz fruit or green smoothie, no sweeteners added
try to get in a liter of water before noon
32oz lunch smoothie or leftover dinner
try to get in at minimum another 32oz of water before dinner
dinner

All that water doesn't leave a whole heck of a lot of time or space for actual food.  And before you say well cut the smoothies let me tell you I have suffered with some intestinal issues for the last 18 years and the one and two a day smoothie method has pretty much worked that out for me.  Plus, I am more hydrated now than I have ever been in my adult life. My lips aren't even remotely chapped and I can't remember the last time it's been like that.  And I'm loving the extra energy.

So what other food problem do I have?  I love meat (chicken and beef) but it brings my system to a crawl.  I can only eat small(ish) portions of any meal at a sitting unless I've waited too long and feel like I'm starving. I just get full really fast.  And I mean like I'm the girl that will almost always bring home a doggy bag with half a meal fast.  

On training days I'm supposed to eat somewhere around 1800 (or is it 2300??) calories.  I don't think I even come close with the amount of greens and liquid I try to ingest. So the consequences of not hitting those specific macros of nutrition are not seeing results for a lot of the hard work I put in.The alternative is hit the macros, jack up my system and go back to dehydration and lethargy.

And that's what I hate.  That and not being proficient enough in paleo and raw foodism to combine them into what I need them to be for varieties sake.  I love the feeling from raw, but I am not in a place in my life to commit to it 100%.  Like I love meat and bacon, I love fish and shellfish. 

I imagine this will continue for some and as I figure some stuff out I'll be sure to share it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment