Admission: This post has been sitting in limbo for seven months. I did this paint job in December.
When I decided I was going to repaint my room one of the things I KNEW I wanted was an orange stripe. I'm a bit obsessive about the color, but with an orange living room I needed something to tie in to other areas of the house without being crazy overpowering. Even when it's cool my living room is a warm and cozy space thanks to the color but this room is so small that I didn't want to feel like I was sitting in a pumpkin. So here's what happened when I tried to stripe:
Bought a striping tool (over a year ago, so in 2011)
Taped the wall.
Stood back and marveled and my work. Discovered I was a full 2 inches off from where I started.
Called the husband to come help.
He said the striping contraption was a piece of isht and the levels on it are junk. (Note: these are his opinions. I still think the premise of this thing is pretty nifty.)
I held the level, he grabbed a ruler.
He marked the bottom lines and we taped
He grabbed a ruler and measured 6 inches higher.
We taped.
I painted the base coat of gray over the edges of the tape like so, so that the orange doesn't seep through. Then added some green tape so that I didn't overpaint with the orange and make more work for myself.
I painted the orange and then I painted the orange again.
I pulled tape.
End result:
Perfect....even if Lowe's did mix the wrong shade of gray.
More to come....
When I decided I was going to repaint my room one of the things I KNEW I wanted was an orange stripe. I'm a bit obsessive about the color, but with an orange living room I needed something to tie in to other areas of the house without being crazy overpowering. Even when it's cool my living room is a warm and cozy space thanks to the color but this room is so small that I didn't want to feel like I was sitting in a pumpkin. So here's what happened when I tried to stripe:
Bought a striping tool (over a year ago, so in 2011)
| Disclaimer: I'm not saying this thing doesn't work, I'm saying it didn't work for me. |
Taped the wall.
Stood back and marveled and my work. Discovered I was a full 2 inches off from where I started.
Called the husband to come help.
He said the striping contraption was a piece of isht and the levels on it are junk. (Note: these are his opinions. I still think the premise of this thing is pretty nifty.)
I held the level, he grabbed a ruler.
He marked the bottom lines and we taped
He grabbed a ruler and measured 6 inches higher.
| This is showing the tool line is faulty, not that it was a faulty tool |
We taped.
I painted the base coat of gray over the edges of the tape like so, so that the orange doesn't seep through. Then added some green tape so that I didn't overpaint with the orange and make more work for myself.
| overpainting the edges |
| There's that green tape and thank goodness. All the blue tape disappeared!! |
I pulled tape.
End result:
Perfect....even if Lowe's did mix the wrong shade of gray.
More to come....
No comments:
Post a Comment