After my painting makeover I knew I needed to tackle the dreaded closet. And of course, with my memory, there is no before picture.
Womp. Womp. Womp.
The closet holds fabric, notions, patterns, foam, VHS tapes, old computers, stuffed animals, childhood books, and camera gear.
It all need a place to go.
Solution:
We (he) removed the doors. Empty the closet.
Paint it a slighty darker shade of gray. Then remove the carpet and prepare to lay some flooring.
Knock out the flooring. This is the second closet I've added laminate to and it takes awhile, but it's really not hard at all.
Buy Pax closet system from Ikea and put it together. Don't let it fall over and hit you in the leg either. That hurts and severs nerves. Five months later and my leg still isn't right.
Install in closet and start adding items.
Stand back and admire your work and document for posterity - yeah, that' didn't happen.
Let me tell you a little story.
The closet above is the second one purchased for this room and the third one purchased over the course of this project weekend. Seriously. You want to know why the closet stops there? Because I can be a nitwit.
The closet below is the one we purchased originally for the sewing room. Notice anything?
If you have a keen eye you'll notice our washer and dryer are stacked,and that the closet is much taller than it. If you look above the basket on the right you will also notice that the shelves aren't very deep. So here's what happened.
Trip to Ikea. Purchase closet. Lug it home. Put it together. Maneuver it into the space. Try to add bins and baskets......
......and discover your shelving is 12 inches deep instead of 20 inches deep.
What to do? What to do?
Lug the closets down the stairs and leave them in the kitchen for a week while you remove the laundry room shelving, patch and paint the walls, stack the washer and dryer and create a make shift crystal corral for the litter box (no crystals under the stack).
And upstairs?
Go back to Ikea. Go straight to the closets. Pick it out - the correct depth. Lug it home. Put it together. Maneuver it into the closet. Add bins and baskets SUCCESSFULLY.....
.....and notice that that closet is only six feet tall instead of almost nine feet tall because you stopped in front of the wrong display, wrote that number down and rolled out for purchase. *sigh*
What to do? What to do?
Not a daggone thing. I put those bad boys in and shrugged it away. I still, all these months later, need to put the baseboard back into the closet. It will help anchor the units into place and allow me to create the additional shelving between the two units that I'm planning on.
Of course, if the units were the right height.....
Part II: Making curtains for the room
I was lucky enough to score these peppered, pleated curtains for the low, low price of free. They needed some work for my use (I don't like pleated curtains) so I plucked out the pleats, folded, sewed and hung. Voila. New windows.
And at this juncture, the renovation is 80% done. All that needs to be done is replace the (baseboards and) futon with a smaller seating option and this room will be complete.
Completion date: TBD. I'm not in any rush
Womp. Womp. Womp.
The closet holds fabric, notions, patterns, foam, VHS tapes, old computers, stuffed animals, childhood books, and camera gear.
It all need a place to go.
Solution:
We (he) removed the doors. Empty the closet.
| Closet rail removed and wall patched. Ready to paint! |
Knock out the flooring. This is the second closet I've added laminate to and it takes awhile, but it's really not hard at all.
Buy Pax closet system from Ikea and put it together. Don't let it fall over and hit you in the leg either. That hurts and severs nerves. Five months later and my leg still isn't right.
Install in closet and start adding items.
Stand back and admire your work and document for posterity - yeah, that' didn't happen.
Let me tell you a little story.
The closet above is the second one purchased for this room and the third one purchased over the course of this project weekend. Seriously. You want to know why the closet stops there? Because I can be a nitwit.
The closet below is the one we purchased originally for the sewing room. Notice anything?
If you have a keen eye you'll notice our washer and dryer are stacked,and that the closet is much taller than it. If you look above the basket on the right you will also notice that the shelves aren't very deep. So here's what happened.
Trip to Ikea. Purchase closet. Lug it home. Put it together. Maneuver it into the space. Try to add bins and baskets......
......and discover your shelving is 12 inches deep instead of 20 inches deep.
What to do? What to do?
Lug the closets down the stairs and leave them in the kitchen for a week while you remove the laundry room shelving, patch and paint the walls, stack the washer and dryer and create a make shift crystal corral for the litter box (no crystals under the stack).
And upstairs?
Go back to Ikea. Go straight to the closets. Pick it out - the correct depth. Lug it home. Put it together. Maneuver it into the closet. Add bins and baskets SUCCESSFULLY.....
.....and notice that that closet is only six feet tall instead of almost nine feet tall because you stopped in front of the wrong display, wrote that number down and rolled out for purchase. *sigh*
What to do? What to do?
Not a daggone thing. I put those bad boys in and shrugged it away. I still, all these months later, need to put the baseboard back into the closet. It will help anchor the units into place and allow me to create the additional shelving between the two units that I'm planning on.
Of course, if the units were the right height.....
Part II: Making curtains for the room
I was lucky enough to score these peppered, pleated curtains for the low, low price of free. They needed some work for my use (I don't like pleated curtains) so I plucked out the pleats, folded, sewed and hung. Voila. New windows.
And at this juncture, the renovation is 80% done. All that needs to be done is replace the (baseboards and) futon with a smaller seating option and this room will be complete.
Completion date: TBD. I'm not in any rush
No comments:
Post a Comment