Another one down.....a lot to go.
On my little pattern spree recently I picked up several pieces to make as soon as I can squeeze them in, both financially and time wise. I spent some time making one throughout this week, not all in one sitting even though you really can sew it all up in 2 hours. Note: I said SEW, not cut, pin, cut and sew.
I've decided I'd do my vacation challenge updates as pattern reviews unless I'm remaking a pattern. First up, New Look 6354
You thought I'd give you the finished product right away though didn't you? Ha! You need suspense!!
Project Details:
Pattern: New Look 6354, View F (skirt at the bottom)
Fabric: Midweight cotton? I need to do better at keeping track of what I purchase
Notions: None? None unless 2 inch elastic counts.
Pattern Sizing:6-16 . I cut the size 14.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it? Yes!!! Woohoo!!
Were the instructions easy to follow?Yes. As a sewing newbie it was nice to have easy, clear instructions to follow, especially working with a yoke.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It's a simple skirt with easy instructions. Perfect to make a beginner feel good about what they can accomplish.
Fabric used: I guess it's midweight cotton. Not very light, but not denim heavy either.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I didn't add the twill. I'm not a ribbons and bows kind of girl. And I made the hem narrower because it was easier than doing the full 5/8" and working out the puckers.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Definitely to both! I'm already thinking of doing one in another summery color.
Conclusion: The hem is curved so it's a pain in the butt, but if you can master the curved hem you are on your way. That,and putting the elastic in was a real pain in the ass! I use a safety pin on the end and about 3/4 of the way through it opened up.Trying to pull it through open didn't work. While trying to close it in the garment I stuck myself so hard I drew blood. The things we do for fashion. *sigh* LOL.
Now you can have the finished product. :)
On my little pattern spree recently I picked up several pieces to make as soon as I can squeeze them in, both financially and time wise. I spent some time making one throughout this week, not all in one sitting even though you really can sew it all up in 2 hours. Note: I said SEW, not cut, pin, cut and sew.
I've decided I'd do my vacation challenge updates as pattern reviews unless I'm remaking a pattern. First up, New Look 6354
You thought I'd give you the finished product right away though didn't you? Ha! You need suspense!!
Project Details:
Pattern: New Look 6354, View F (skirt at the bottom)
Fabric: Midweight cotton? I need to do better at keeping track of what I purchase
Notions: None? None unless 2 inch elastic counts.
Description: A line skirt with twill trim around the waist
Pattern Sizing:6-16 . I cut the size 14.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it? Yes!!! Woohoo!!
Were the instructions easy to follow?Yes. As a sewing newbie it was nice to have easy, clear instructions to follow, especially working with a yoke.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It's a simple skirt with easy instructions. Perfect to make a beginner feel good about what they can accomplish.
Fabric used: I guess it's midweight cotton. Not very light, but not denim heavy either.
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I didn't add the twill. I'm not a ribbons and bows kind of girl. And I made the hem narrower because it was easier than doing the full 5/8" and working out the puckers.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Definitely to both! I'm already thinking of doing one in another summery color.
Conclusion: The hem is curved so it's a pain in the butt, but if you can master the curved hem you are on your way. That,and putting the elastic in was a real pain in the ass! I use a safety pin on the end and about 3/4 of the way through it opened up.Trying to pull it through open didn't work. While trying to close it in the garment I stuck myself so hard I drew blood. The things we do for fashion. *sigh* LOL.
Now you can have the finished product. :)
That crazy bend and "ghost" image at the bottom is my cat interrupting the long shutter.
Nice job! And the hem looks fantastic. What size elastic did you use, and what size was your casing? I have the same issue with doing pants and skirts for the smallest Nicholes' - sucks.
ReplyDeleteThe elastic was 2" and without measuring, I'd have to say the casing was about 4 1/2 inches,maybe less. I had just enough room to pull the elastic through and lay it flat.
ReplyDelete