Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Avocado Pie

Don't make that face!  Seriously!! I know the first thought is *enter scrunchy face here* but just hear me out.


In the last week or so I have been witness to some smoothie concoctions that I can still do sans a real blender.  Then I ran across this pie that stopped me cold. And I mean cold like I just had to try it for myself.  So I did.


Recently (ok, last week.  I just got around to posting.) I made an almost vegan avocado pie. I say almost because I didn’t bother to make the crust myself.  I had a graham cracker crust lying around from a pumpkin cheesecake I never made and commandeered it for my task at hand.

The recipe is roughly this.

Zest of one medium lemon
Juice of one medium lemon
Two avocado
¼ cup agave nectar

Mix them a food processor until smooth. Pour into pie crust liner.  Refrigerate for one hour before sampling.

Off the spoon:  There’s still a hint of avocado flavor that isn’t overpowering, but  does let you know this isn’t a traditional dessert.  I’ll see what happens later when I sample it.

Post sample:  Very strong liking it!  I believe there may be a way to remove that last hint of avocado flavor but I'd have to find that magic thing. After a day or two it's even better to me!


Synopsis:  Without making the crust this entire thing took about 15 minutes to put together.  It tasted pretty good and I’ll probably make it again towards the end of summer just because.  When I do make  it again, it'll be a smaller batch because in this form it is an entire pie, and one that Mr. A won't touch. Will I make the crust then? Possibly, but I’m not a huge nut fan and since all raw vegan crusts seem to be nut based,well….


No comments:

Post a Comment