By the time this post publishes I will have completed my first full week at the gym. Yay me.
Monday and Tuesday were great. Wednesday was painful, and Thursday almost didn't happen.
Yeah, already.*sigh*
Don't get me wrong. My brain was all about getting up and going to the gym. But my body, specifically my legs, were screaming for more rest. I think I may have overdone the workout on Tuesday. It felt awesome. I had wobbly legs by the time I left, but once DOMS set in it felt like it was going to be forever.
It didn't help that on Wednesday I cleaned 3/4 of the house solo, including vacuuming and mopping floors.With every trip up and down the stairs I thought I was goingto just give up and sit down on the stairs until further notice. I didn't though. I soldiered off and on for 8 hours cleaning, stopping for breaks to eat, watch a bit of tv and give myself much needed rests.
BUT - Wednesday was supposed to be a rest day. :( No resting.
Wednesday night I slept so poorly it's almost a joke to call it sleep. I tossed and turned and every time I did the pain in my legs woke me up. I was trying to turn over gingerly and get back to sleep before I was so awake trying to sleep would be useless.
Thursday morning when Mr. A said he was leaving I told him I wasn't going to the gym. He chastised me saying he knew I would give up and not go. I told him fine, I'd go, but that I'd stop after my 1 mile walk on the treadmill. After my walk (which warmed up the muscles and made my legs feel pretty good) I finished my Thursday workout with no problems.
This morning was leg day again and I anticipated a challenge. I knew I needed to be in and out because my in-laws are coming in so I need to be worked out, showered and dressed by the time they arrived (and that time was anyone's guess).
Once again I surprised myself with the focus and determination I went in with. I don't like people watching me if I'm not sure I'm doing things correctly, and today there were more people than all week. There were a couple of guys that looked twice because again - only girl in the free weight section. That's okay though. And going this morning helped eliminated some of the crazy stiff soreness from DOMS that I was experiencing. I also have the makings of a blister on my left hand. I'm going to get some lifting gloves this weekend for sure.
At the end of my first week I have to say I feel pretty good. I broke through the first self-limiting boundary and overcame it. I really enjoy lifting so getting to do it is a way to pass time until I'm working again, in addition to looking for work of course. Going to the gym is giving me something to look forward to other than sitting in the house all day. I can go, get in a good workout, shower, change and be ready for whatever is next instead of sitting on the sofa pouting about whatever there is to pout about these days. Plus, I never thought I'd like working out alone. Turns out I do rather enjoy it. Whodathunkit?
Week one down, 11 weeks to go then we start all over again!
Monday and Tuesday were great. Wednesday was painful, and Thursday almost didn't happen.
Yeah, already.*sigh*
Don't get me wrong. My brain was all about getting up and going to the gym. But my body, specifically my legs, were screaming for more rest. I think I may have overdone the workout on Tuesday. It felt awesome. I had wobbly legs by the time I left, but once DOMS set in it felt like it was going to be forever.
It didn't help that on Wednesday I cleaned 3/4 of the house solo, including vacuuming and mopping floors.With every trip up and down the stairs I thought I was goingto just give up and sit down on the stairs until further notice. I didn't though. I soldiered off and on for 8 hours cleaning, stopping for breaks to eat, watch a bit of tv and give myself much needed rests.
BUT - Wednesday was supposed to be a rest day. :( No resting.
Wednesday night I slept so poorly it's almost a joke to call it sleep. I tossed and turned and every time I did the pain in my legs woke me up. I was trying to turn over gingerly and get back to sleep before I was so awake trying to sleep would be useless.
Thursday morning when Mr. A said he was leaving I told him I wasn't going to the gym. He chastised me saying he knew I would give up and not go. I told him fine, I'd go, but that I'd stop after my 1 mile walk on the treadmill. After my walk (which warmed up the muscles and made my legs feel pretty good) I finished my Thursday workout with no problems.
This morning was leg day again and I anticipated a challenge. I knew I needed to be in and out because my in-laws are coming in so I need to be worked out, showered and dressed by the time they arrived (and that time was anyone's guess).
Once again I surprised myself with the focus and determination I went in with. I don't like people watching me if I'm not sure I'm doing things correctly, and today there were more people than all week. There were a couple of guys that looked twice because again - only girl in the free weight section. That's okay though. And going this morning helped eliminated some of the crazy stiff soreness from DOMS that I was experiencing. I also have the makings of a blister on my left hand. I'm going to get some lifting gloves this weekend for sure.
At the end of my first week I have to say I feel pretty good. I broke through the first self-limiting boundary and overcame it. I really enjoy lifting so getting to do it is a way to pass time until I'm working again, in addition to looking for work of course. Going to the gym is giving me something to look forward to other than sitting in the house all day. I can go, get in a good workout, shower, change and be ready for whatever is next instead of sitting on the sofa pouting about whatever there is to pout about these days. Plus, I never thought I'd like working out alone. Turns out I do rather enjoy it. Whodathunkit?
Week one down, 11 weeks to go then we start all over again!
No comments:
Post a Comment